I have seen this recipe numerous places, but I'll cite the version/place I saw it first. I've made a few changes in my version below (including doubling it and making it in a different style pan); feel free to check out the original! These are our favorite snack to take en route to swim lessons. They taste an awful lot like a glorified, hearty oatmeal raisin cookie.
~Recipe from allrecipes.com
- 4 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 c. wheat germ
- 2 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1 rounded t. cinnamon
- 1 rounded t. salt
- 1+ c. chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 c. raisins
- 1 generous cup honey
- 1 generous cup oil (canola, vegetable, whatever)
- 2 eggs
- 2 generous t. vanilla
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil or wax paper; spray lightly with Pam. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients together thoroughly (kids love to help with this).
- Mix wet ingredients together and pour into dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly (with hands or a giant spoon).
- Dump mixture into prepared pan. Wet hands and pat mixture firmly into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned on top (they'll look pretty brown).
- Cool 5 minutes and then cut into bars and remove to a cooling rack! Don't delay or they'll harden too much to cut/serve.