Sunday, January 8, 2012

Menu for Week of January 8th

Happy Birthday to me! So, this week's menu starts with leftovers so I don't have to cook (and I got to go out to dinner last night, too!). We're really trying to do what everyone else is trying to do right now: save money and lose weight--and do it quickly/easily. Hah! But the recipes below are all fairly simple.

  • Sunday: Soup for lunch and Poultry Pasta Primavera for dinner (recipe coming for this one!)
  • Monday (meat and three): Roast chicken, potatoes, green veggie, salad
  • Tuesday (tortilla night): Grilled chicken/black bean burritos, roasted sweet potatoes,* fruit
  • Wednesday (breakfast night): Denver omelets (with ham from freezer), fruit, muffins
  • Thursday (pasta night): Chicken Parmesan (from Cooking Light!), green veggie
  • Friday (bean/legume night usually, but this week I'm taking a meal to someone and we're going to have the same thing!): Light and Easy Italian Chicken, twice-baked potatoes, speedy rosemary green beans, fruit salad, cookies
  • Saturday (bean/legume night for this week): Curried Chick Peas with Veggies and rice (trying to recreate an Indian restaurant fave here...)

I don't use a recipe for my roasted sweet potatoes, but here's my general method:  peel and chunk up the potatoes. Toss with some olive oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Roast in a 13x9-inch pan alongside whatever else is in the oven (if anything). If nothing else is baking, then I'll start them at about 400 degrees or so. They're good at room temperature, so they're usually the first thing I get going. I just stir them when I remember they're in the oven....

No comments: