Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Korean Egg Sandwich

I'm a huge fan of egg sandwiches for breakfast. I like the usual fried egg + cheese + toast. I like a slice of tomato on it or not. I like cheddar, American, Laughing Cow, whatever type of cheese. I like them on sourdough, wheat, rosemary, ... pretty much any bread product. I like my eggs scrambled, fried with a runny yolk, fried with a hard yolk. I'll even eat them microwaved. I could eat them in a box, I could eat them with a fox....

But when I was in the Czech Republic for a semester in college, we ate a different kind of egg sandwich--one that I've craved for the past 17 years. Until now. You see, in the CR, they had these little rolls, slices of hard-boiled eggs, and KETCHUP. It was sweeter than our American ketchup and SO good. Trust me. I couldn't make that up.

And that experience is what led me to try a Korean Egg Sandwich which has, you guessed it, ketchup. Really, folks, it's worth a try. And much less fat than my usual cheese-slathered creation. Here's my version below, for 1 serving. Adjust as you like for others. (You could chop the veggies up the night before and this would be super simple to whip up in the morning.)

  • 1 egg
  • 1 T. chopped cabbage (not a problem around here.... we have LOTS of cabbage right now)
  • 1/2 T. chopped carrot
  • 1/2 T. chopped onion (red or white will work; so will green)
  • 1/2 T. ketchup (or MUCH less--I use just a thin smear)
  • 1/2 T. brown sugar (or MUCH less--I use just a light sprinkle)
  • 2 pieces bread (I need hardly say that the better the bread, the better the sandwich)

  1. Toast your bread (butter thinly before or after toasting, depending on your preference and toaster).
  2. While bread is toasting, whisk together the egg and vegetables. Cook like a fritatta or flat omelet in a greased skillet (I used cooking spray for this) until set; you can also flip it like a regular omelet if you want. A one-egg mixture is not very hard to flip.
  3. When bread and egg mixture are done, put egg mixture on one piece of bread. Spread ketchup thinly over the egg. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over it. Top with remaining piece of bread.
  4. Enjoy!

No comments: