Monday, June 11, 2012

Menu in Retrospect (6/9/12)

Last week, I said we were going to eat stir fry on Saturday night; we didn't. We ate one of our favorite "throw together" meals: sauteed veggies (in this case, julienned summer squash and carrots) tossed with pasta and pesto sauce. Mmm....

This week, I've done more cooking than I have in months--I'm taking the summer off of grad school, and it's been fun to get back in the kitchen and play around! It's time consuming, though, not least of which because there's so much more to clean up when you actually cook. But it's been saving us some money and is enabling me to use up some of that beautiful CSA produce. (And my kids are enjoying helping out!)

So, here's what's been filling our full tummies:

Sunday: Lunch: leftover pasta/pesto/veg and salad; Dinner: Covered Dish (we brought a big salad, cornbread, and cake! Oh--and some mint iced tea which people drank up quickly)

Monday: ("Meat + Three" night, but...) Bierrocks (my kitchen helper this week, "The Conqueror," had SO much fun helping with these little guys--and he did a pretty good job making up the little bundles); salad

Tuesday: (Kid Request Night) Green Eggs and Ham for the kiddos; spinach omelets for Mom and Dad; banana muffins; cantaloupe

Wednesday: Dinner at church; I helped this week and brought... a big salad!

Thursday: Cabbage and Noodles with Bacon (an allrecipes recipe that, frankly, wasn't that great; I think a better version would be Quick Creamed Cabbage tossed with buttered noodles and topped with bacon... Next time, I'm going that route.)

Friday: Fish Tacos using up some Napa cabbage in the slaw part; Carmelized turnips

Saturday: Indian Night (a vegetable curry that helped use up some turnips + a chicken dish + naan)

Breakfasts:
Oatmeal, Oatmeal Muffins, cereal, smoothies, Korean egg sandwich, zucchini frittata

Lunches:
Leftovers, PB&J, Veggie Pita Pockets, mac-n-cheese, favorite salad

No comments: