Thursday, August 2, 2012

CSA + Garden Haul Week 10 8/2/12)

Well, folks, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be putting up actual pictures of our CSA adventure. We start our kids' school schedule next week (we're helping with the teachers' kids during their in-service, so we'll be on a school schedule but not have school... if that makes sense). I feel like I'm hurtling toward the cliff's edge and a veritable waterfall of details, commitments, needs, and homework is whooshing over that edge with us in a little tiny rowboat.... After nearly 3 hours at the eye doctor's today (and a clean bill of eye health/vision for kids and good check up for me), recent hair appointments for my daughter and yours truly, dental checkups for the whole crew, school supply shopping, textbook acquisition, a new pair of shoes for one kid (only a few more to go), .... I'm feeling *somewhat* ready. Do our husbands have ANY idea how many behind-the-scenes details are taken care of before they watch those little children of theirs march off to school (holding, of course, recently purchased lunchboxes, wearing shoes that fit, clothed in reasonably clean garments, and not having hair in their eyes? Oh, and the socks in the laundry... they cometh quickly...).

But I digress. This isn't a blog about how crazy life is about to get ☺. It's about our favorite foods and what's working for us right now! So, here's what we have to work with this coming week....

CSA:
  • Summer squash! (yellow, zucchini, pattypan, 8-ball)
  • Eggplant
  • Tomatoes!! Those delicious sungold cherries were a freebie after Caleb watched one of my sons drooling over them--thanks, Caleb! There is a basket of slicing tomatoes and some Romas--which promptly made it into my dinner.
  • 1 melon
  • 1.5# red fleshed potatoes
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 2 hot peppers
  • 2 small green peppers
 Garden:
  • withering (but not as badly as our poor Midwestern neighbors!)
  • 1 sorry looking cuke
  • few cherry tomatoes (which, I'm afraid, I'm thankful to see dwindling...)
  • some baby 8-ball zukes making up their mind whether to die off or persevere. I don't have time to go sing songs of encouragement whilst watering away either....
Possibilities
  • roasted veggies (even cherry tomatoes are good in this; we usually include summer squash, potatoes, peppers, and onions: chop, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic salt, and roast at 450 degrees until done to your liking--20 minutes or so) 
  • Baba Ghanoush (an eggplant dip)
  • Summer Squash and Polenta Casserole


No comments: