Friday, August 24, 2012

CSA Week 13 (8/24/12)

So, I actually DID take a picture yesterday, but that's it. No uploading, no nothing else.

One thing about eating seasonally that's been refreshing is how much I start to really crave the foods coming in the next season. At this point in the summer, I've eaten so much squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, and such that I'm starting to really have a hankerin' for some bitter mustard greens, a fleshy sweet potato, some broccoli.... Which means I'll appreciate those fall goodies that much more when they arrive; dare I say that I could eat greens multiple times a week at this point--and I didn't even LIKE greens until a couple of years ago. Photo will be uploaded eventually.

For now, here's what we have to work with:
CSA:
  • 1 bag new potatoes
  • 2 cantaloupes! (kids were mucho excited)
  • 2 eggplant (sigh--the one veggie this summer that is my cross to bear ☺)
  • 1 small box slicing tomatoes
  • 1 habanero and a couple of jalapenos
  • 1 box grape tomatoes
  • several bell peppers
Is that it? I'm doing this from memory and don't have the photo uploaded to jog my memory yet.

Garden: (OK, so I've totally ignored our sorry little garden for the last couple of weeks. Today, we brought in the motherload of cherry and grape tomatoes. I mean, c'mon. How many cherry tomatoes can one gal eat in one summer??!!)
  • 12 cups cherry tomatoes (this does NOT count the ones that split when we picked them or the ones that aren't quite ripe--these plants have been going gang busters ALL summer!!!!)
  • 8 or 9 cups grape tomatoes (more volunteers--and I didn't pick all of these either)
  • 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes (more volunteers)
  • tons of basil
  • 2 green bell peppers--I'm leaving them on the plant to see if they'll turn red ☺
  • 2 small green pumpkins--should turn orange soonish!
  • 2 baby watermelons!
Leftovers (thanks to my sister's Tupperware fridgesmarts!)
  • 1 cucumber (this baby is like 3 weeks old and looks just fine)
  • more hot peppers
  • 1 yellow squash, 2 pattypan squashes, and 1 yellow one-ball squash

No comments: