~adapted slightly from The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook
- 3/4 pounds tomatoes, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small cucumber (or larger!), peeled (or not!), sliced lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- few Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (half of a 1/3 cup measure)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 t. hot sauce, optional
- 4 ice cubes
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, vinegar, garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt in a nonreactive bowl and season with pepper to taste. Let stand until vegetables just begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato juice, hot sauce if using, and ice cubes. Cover tightly and refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- Remove and discard unmelted ice cubes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold.