(Note: these older recipes assume a lot more background cooking knowledge than contemporary cookbooks do. See below the recipe for some helpful tips from a reader--thanks, Amy!)
Grandmother's French Herbed Chicken
- 1 cut-up chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 1 T. butter
- 1 (8-oz) can small whole onions, drained (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 T. snipped parsley
- 1/4 t. dried thyme, crushed
- 1 (2-oz) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 c. sauterne
- 2-3 branches celery, cut up
- 1 medium bay leaf
- Cut your chicken up into roughly four pieces (2 breast halves, 2 leg/thigh pieces); use the rest for stock making or discard.
- Use the butter called for as the "hot fat" in which you brown the chicken, brown the skin-side.She also said the carrots were so good that next time she'll use more!