Monday, January 7, 2013

Bircher-Muesli

One of the main reasons I started full tummies way back when (nearly 6 years ago!!) was to have a catchall place for random recipes from relatives, books, and magazine--the digital equivalent of the old-fashioned recipe box. I figured I could never lose the recipes this way.

And, over the years, full tummies has held me in good stead! Except for one, little, crucial recipe: Bircher-Muesli. I didn't use the rest of the recipes much in the Dairy Hollow House Cookbook, so I dutifully photocopied the muesli gem and took the cookbook to the used book store for trade. A few months went by....


....AAGGHH... where in the world is that recipe??!! Maybe I can find something similar on the web....

Real life interrupted my fruitless searching, and I moved on. Until this winter when I had the brilliant idea to check our local library: yep! They had the cookbook. I am now recording this amazing breakfast concoction in my trusty digital recipe box. It's a cold breakfast so we'll wait until warmer weather before indulging but it will be here when I need it!

[edited 1/15/13 to add that you can make this more than a day ahead of time up through mixing in the apples; it keeps just fine for an extra day or so--just gets a little softer]

Bircher-Muesli
~Dairy Hollow House Cookbook

  • 2 c. oats
  • 1 1/2 c. milk or water*
  • 6 pitted prunes, quartered
  • 6 pitted apricots, quartered
  • 2 apples, grated [I use just one good-sized apple, unpeeled, and chopped fine in the food processor]
  • 2-4 T. honey or maple syrup, to taste (I always use honey)
  • 3 T. lemon juice
  • 1/2 c. seedless green grapes, halved, optional
  • 1/2 c. fresh pineapple, diced, optional
  • 1/4 c. each ground toasted almonds, hazelnuts, and sesame seeds, optional
  • 1/3 c. raisins, optional*
  • 1-2 c. sliced fresh strawberries, optional
  • 1 sliced banana, optional
  • whipped cream, slightly sweetened or plain yogurt*
*In the cookbook, there is a distinction between "city style" and "country style" (similar to "company" and "at home"). City is more elaborate, using the richer milk instead of water, more fresh fruit in the "optional" ingredients, and the whipped cream. When I used to make this at home, I used half milk and half water, the ground nuts (usually almonds, pecans, and/or walnuts), the raisins, and a banana. Strawberries are a nice touch.

  1. The night before: pour water or milk over oats and refrigerate. Pour enough boiling water to cover over prunes and apricots, cover and refrigerate (a small ramekin works nicely for this).
  2. In the morning, drain prunes and apricots and combine with oat mixture. Mix the apples, honey, and lemon juice together and add to oat mixture. Stir in and/or garnish with any of the following ingredients, adding extra honey on top for those who need it.
~Serves 6-8

No comments: