Kentucky Hot Browns
~from Southern Living
- 4 pieces Texas toast or other thick white bread
- 3/4 pound sliced roasted turkey (can use good quality deli meat)
- 1/2 c. butter*
- 1/3 c. flour*
- 3 1/2 c. milk*
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese*
- 1/4 t. salt*
- 1/4 t. pepper*
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 plum tomatoes sliced or diced
- 8 bacon slices, cooked
*These ingredients are to make a basic white sauce with cheese (Mornay sauce). You can also use a recipe you already know/like or add cheese to my Microwave Bechamel Sauce. Directions for the Southern Living Mornay sauce here: Melt butter in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat. Toast bread 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Arrange bread on broiler safe pan or in individual broiler-safe dishes. Top with turkey. Pour Mornay sauce over and sprinkle extra cheese on top. Broil 3-4 minutes or until bubbly and light brown.
- Top with chopped tomatoes and bacon slices.
- Eat immediately.