Baked Acorn Squash with Apple-Pear Stuffing
~Joy of Cooking, 1997 edition
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 c. raisins
- 2 T. brown sugar
- grated zest of 1 small orange
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. nutmeg
- 2 T. butter
- 1/4 c. apple cider or orange juice (use the juice from the orange you zested)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place squash, cut-sides down, in a baking dish and fill the bottom with 1/4-1/2 inch of water. Bake squash for 45 minutes.
- Mix apples, pear, raisins, brown sugar, zest, and spices in a medium bowl.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the fruit mixture and cook until the fruit browns slightly--about 5 minutes. Stir in juice and cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until fruit is tender (but not falling apart).
- When squash have baked for about 45 minutes, remove from oven and pour off water from pan. Place squash cut-side up and fill cavities with fruit mixture, mounding it up a little if necessary. Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
~4-6 servings, depending on how big your squashes are