Virtues aside, my children each have friends and classmates with various allergies. Dairy and egg allergies can be hard to work around, especially if you're hosting a sleepover. But these waffles will please all the kiddos at the table and will work for dairy- and egg-free/vegan folks.
Pumpkin Waffles (Dairy- and Egg-Free/Vegan)
~from Simple Vegan! Delicious Meat-free, Dairy-Free Recipes Every Family Will Love
- 1/3 c. oats (quick-cooking or regular)
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 t. pumpkin pie spice (or sub 1/2 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. cloves, 1/4 t. ginger, 1/4 t. nutmeg or similar)
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 c. plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk (soy, almond)
- 1 can (15-oz) solid pack pumpkin (NOT pumpkin-pie mix/filling)
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1 t. vanilla
- Blend oats in food processor or blender until finely ground.
- Mix dry ingredients (including oats) in a large bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients, including pumpkin, in a smaller bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
- Preheat waffle iron; spray if necessary. Pour or spoon batter onto waffle iron; my waffle iron (4-5 inch squares) took a scant 1/4 cup per waffle.
- Cook until crisp and browned--mine took a bit longer than usual for the waffles to cook all the way.
- You can keep these warm in a 200 degree oven or serve right away!