This is delicious and can be made ahead! The vegetables listed below are the original list--sort of like a ratatouille--but we don't like eggplant or mushrooms, so I sometimes leave those out and just add extra squash and/or peppers. We got a great looking assortment of squash and peppers from the Colvins this week, so that's primarily what I used.
Italian Veggie Bake
~Out Here cookbook
- 1/3 c. Italian dressing (any kind: homemade, storebought, light, etc.)*
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small unpeeled eggplant, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 large red pepper, cubed
- 1 fresh package (6 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained and diced (or 2 c. fresh, diced tomatoes)*
- 1/3 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 T. chopped parsley, optional
- Heat salad dressing in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add eggplant and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (if not using eggplant, just cook the onion for the additional 5 minutes before moving on).
- Add remaining vegetables except tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to love, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish (I use a 13x9-inch dish). Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. You can also refrigerate at this point and bake tomorrow!
- Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.