- 2 T. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. dry mustard powder
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 2 1/2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded cheese, divided
- 1/4 c. fresh bread crumbs, optional
- 8 oz. noodles, cooked al dente (cut pasta is best)
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for about a minute.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add remaining seasonings. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a low boil. Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens. This whole step will take about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese a handful at a time over low heat, stirring to melt. If serving from the stovetop, use the full amount of cheese. If baking, use 2 cups.
- If baking, pour into an 8x8-inch pan. Top with bread crumbs and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly and top is browned.