Saturday, July 12, 2014

Farmer's Market Slaw

Slaw is basically cabbage salad. And this particular recipe's original title is... "Health Salad." I don't know about you, but that original title is completely uninspiring. Like it's trying to turn away any less-than-sure salad eaters. But this slaw (it's really a slaw) is delicious. The dressing is faintly sweet, and, due to the minimal oil content, this slaw is far lower in calories than many slaws gracing summer picnic tables. Even better, there are no ingredients in this that can't sit out safely on a picnic table for a while (unlike mayo-based dressings). The recipe is flexible; use the veggies you have on hand as long as there's some cabbage (and all of mine came in my CSA basket this week! I could have used white onion from the basket, but I had some red already cut so I went with that. I also subbed in some radishes instead of the bell pepper). Pull out that food processor and let it earn its keep (I had my carrots ready to go before I remembered to take the picture!). Recipe doubles just fine.



One final note: this is definitely better when made ahead and allowed to marinate a bit in the fridge (a few hours). If you're adding in cherry tomatoes, like I did (since I had them in my CSA basket and they were so pretty!), make sure you add them right before serving. Tomatoes get mushy in the fridge.



Farmer's Market Slaw
~"Health Salad" from Weight Watchers


  • 4 c. shredded cabbage
  • 1/2 medium cucumber, seeded if desired, and thinly sliced*
  • 1 medium carrot, shredded*
  • 1/4 thinly sliced red onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced 
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 2 1/2 T. sugar
  • 2 1/2 T. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 T. water
  • 1 T. fresh dill or 1 t. dried
  1. Combine cabbage through bell pepper in a large bowl.
  2. Combine salt through dill and pour over slaw mix. Toss well. Chill for a couple of hours before serving.
~Serves 12-16

1 comment:

Bridgette said...

I made this yesterday for a get together at my house and everyone loved it. Thanks!!