Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Green Tomatillo Salsa

YUMMY!! This is almost as easy as the Tomatillo-Chipotle Salsa I posted last week. The main difference is that you have to chop up a few more ingredients. My finished version was a little thinner than I was expecting. Next time, I think I'll puree the solid ingredients (using a slotted spoon) and add water as needed. I had all the fresh ingredients I needed from the Colvins! I'm assuming this could be frozen as well.



Green Tomatillo Salsa
~based on this all recipes version


  • 1 box tomatillos (~1 1/4 pounds), husked, rinsed, and chopped
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 green cayenne, stemmed, seeded, and chopped*
  • 3 T. cilantro leaves
  • heaping 1/2 t. dried oregano
  • 1/2 t. cumin
  • 1 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 c. water
  • juice of one lime
  1. Combine everything but lime in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tomatillos are soft (10-15 minutes).
  2. Let cool slightly. Using a slotted spoon, transfer solids to food processor. Add about half the water/liquid. Puree. Add more liquid as needed for desired consistency. Squeeze lime juice into salsa and stir.
~Makes about 2-3 cups

No comments: