Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Compromise Cookies


These hearty cookies doesn't stick around long in our house, so I have no idea if they're good "keepers." But, they do represent a lot of compromise: my husband's favorite cookie is chocolate chip and mine is oatmeal. I sometimes need to give my kids breakfast (or other meal) on the go and don't want to buy Nutrigrain bars (too much corn syrup, not whole grain, expensive, etc.); these cookies are better for them and so much tastier!! They're also a hybrid of two VERY similar recipes from my two most-used cookbooks (Better Homes and Gardens and More-with-Less). I've made a few substitutions as well. Try them today!

1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (neither recipe specifies that you use all-natural; I just did)
1/2-1 cup sugar*
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (bittersweet or semi-sweet)

*More-with-Less recommends 1/2 cup; Better Homes and Gardens says 1 cup; I've done either and in between.... doesn't make a huge difference!

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream butter and peanut butter together with an electric mixer. Add sugars, baking powder and baking soda; beat until combined. Beat in applesauce, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Beat in flour (as much as you can with mixer). Stir in oats. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

Makes 60 small cookies or, if you drop by big spoonfuls, 30 larger cookies.

3 comments:

Megan said...

(Commenting on several posts here) I'll have to try those...Henry and I are addicted to the Sugarless Oatmeal Cookies with bananas (did I send you the recipe? I've been improving it), but a change might be nice. I'm also a HUGE fan of King Arthur flour (their brownie recipe on the A-P bag is our favorite), though I grind my own white wheat. And I "stole" my mother's tattered M-w-L, since she has a copy in better condition now. Do you have the La Leche League cookbooks or Frozen Assets? More very healthful, useful, practical, use-up-what-you-have cookbooks!

Rin said...

My sister-in-law and I made these last week - they were awesome! I love the peanut butter in them, too. A few made it to 3 days, and they were still good then.

Bridgette said...

Since I was making these as breakfast cookies I used 3/4c. raisins, 1/4c. crasins and 1/2c. chocolate chips. They were a hit!! My kids loved that fact that they got to have cookies for breakfast.