Thursday, January 22, 2009

Leftover Oatmeal Muffins


Next time you're stuck with leftover oatmeal, make these muffins! Not very sweet, they're delicious with a bit of butter and honey on them. (Mix up the dry ingredients in one bowl and the liquid in another the night before you want them for breakfast; then, just combine the two bowls in the morning and you're ready to pop them in the oven!)

UPDATE 6/05/12: as my kids have gotten older and wanted more/bigger muffins and wanted them a touch sweeter, I now do the following: make 2 recipes for 18 muffins AND add a cinnamon topping: 2 t. melted butter, 2 t. cinnamon, 4 t. flour, and 4 T. sugar. Not quite as healthy, but since there's so little sugar/fat in the original, I don't feel too badly ☺. I'll end up with extra muffins this way, but somehow they always disappear. I suppose I could do 1 1/2 recipes for about 12 muffins.

Recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, 13th edition

1 1/2 c. flour (white whole wheat is fine)
2 T. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1 egg, well beaten
2 T. butter, melted, or 2 T. oil
1 c. cooked oatmeal (more or less)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter the muffin pans or line with paper wrappers. Combine dry ingredients together in small bowl. In a separate bowl, stir the egg, milk, and butter into the oatmeal. Stir until well blended. Combine the two mixtures and mix well. Spoon each muffin cup 2/3 full of batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted into the center.

Makes 12 medium muffins

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just made these muffins.
I added a little more sugar, and used brown sugar instead of white. I also added apples and cinnamin.
These are some of the best muffins I have made yet! Thank you for the posting!

Sarah said...

Thanks so much for this recipe!!! I love it. I'm sure its awesome as-is, but I'm a chronic recipe tweaker, so this is what I did. I based it on your recipe because I liked the low sugar and fat content.

1 cup spelt flour
½ cup almond meal
¼ cup flax meal (freshly ground)
½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
6 scoops vanilla protein powder
¼ cup sugar
3 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

¾ cup yogurt
2 eggs
3 T coconut oil (melted)
2 cups leftover oatmeal
1 small peeled and chopped apple
½ cup frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a total of 18 muffin cups. Mix all dry ingredients and all wet ingredients separately, then blend them together and spoon into muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with more cinnamon. Bake for 25 minutes.

Betsy said...

"tweak" away! That's how the best recipes are invented and then re-invented.

Nadia Cristina said...

This was pretty good. My kids loved them! My only suggestion would be to add more sugar. I had some leftover blueberry oatmeal and it all baked together very nicely! thank you for this!!!

Unknown said...

I found this recipe to be flawless. I am a chef at a private high school and I always have oatmeal left over. I am always searching the Internet for ideas but not all of them work outfor one reason or another. But this one is great. I did them two ways I added 2 tsp of five spice powder and topped with demerara sugar. The second batch I mushed 3 ripe bananas and added chocolate chips. I have to say this recipe is flawless. Thanks.

Megan said...

Well, these were a hit! I increased the sugar to 1/4 c., added one mashed banana and about a teaspoon of vanilla. Next time I'll throw in some apples, too. One problem...I couldn't resist eating just one more mini muffin! (Those little ones don't count, right?)

Unknown said...

Hot cup of coffee and these muffins - perfect! :)

Melia said...

I made two batches of these yesterday but baked them in large muffin tins. I got six muffins per batch.. The first batch I followed the recipe except I added a tablespoon of brown sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. The second batch I added the brown sugar and vanilla plus a 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. They turned out pretty tasty. :-)

Melia said...

I made two batches of these yesterday but baked them in large muffin tins. I got six muffins per batch.. The first batch I followed the recipe except I added a tablespoon of brown sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. The second batch I added the brown sugar and vanilla plus a 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. They turned out pretty tasty. :-)