This is nearly identical to Spinach Pie; the primary differences involve sausage in this one and more veggies (the same ones as below) in the other. Both are prepped the same; they're a good pair to make at the same time if you like a little variation in the menu but want to save on prep time. This filling recipe makes a very full pie (even with medium sized eggs); if you are tripling the recipe, you will probably get 4 pies out of it instead of 3!
Recipe from Meals for a Month
- 2 9-inch pie crusts*
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. flour
- 1 c. frozen cut-leaf spinach, thawed
- 1 c. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 5 eggs
- 1/8 t. pepper
- 1 (8-oz.) package ricotta cheese
- 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T. milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie plate with one crust. In heave skillet, cook sausage with onion and garlic until sausage is thoroughly cooked. Drain fat, then sprinkle flour over sausage. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Drain spinach and broccoli well. Beat eggs, pepper, ricotta, and cream cheese until well mixed. Add vegetables, then add pork mixture, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Pour sausage mixture into prepared pan. Top with remaining crust, if desired, and crimp edges. If using crust, cut vent holes and brush with milk. Bake for 50 to 65 minutes, until crust is browned and pie is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving or cool in refrigerator and wrap for the freezer.
- To thaw and reheat: Thaw pie overnight in refrigerator. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until thoroughly heated. (You can also freeze and reheat individual slices; shorten reheating time to 10-15 minutes.)