Monday, August 3, 2009

Chicken, Corn, Black Bean, Tomato Salad

This is a delightful, mild summer salad that can be eaten as is, with a big spoonful of zesty salsa (how my hubby and I like it), and/or eaten in a tortilla as a wrap. You can also skip the mild dressing and just use Italian dressing. If you use Italian dressing, you can freeze it! My kids eat the mild version and seem to enjoy it.

Recipe based on one from Group Recipes

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and chopped
  • 4 cups cooked black beans, rinsed
  • 1 bag frozen corn, thawed
  • 6 Roma tomatoes cut into small bite size pieces*
  • 4-6 green onions, finely chop the whole stalk*
  • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime squeezed
  • ½ cup light olive oil
  • ½ cup rice vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons of sugar
  • Salt & Pepper
*I used 2 small all-purpose tomatoes from the garden; my sister's made a similar salad using 1 can diced tomatoes. I also used 1 small regular onion in place of the green onions.

Mix all together and chill for several hours to let flavors blend.

Makes a lot--maybe 6-8 servings.

No comments: