From The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, 13th edition
- 1/4 pound butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 t. vanilla
- 1 1/8 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional
- 1/2 c. oats, optional (if not using nuts; I don't use nuts or oats)
- 1 c. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease cookie sheets or use baking stones.
- Cream butter, then gradually add sugars, beating until light and smooth. Beat in the egg and the vanilla. Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together and add it to the first mixture, blending well. Stir in nuts or oats, if using, and chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets about 1-inch apart and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 50 2-inch cookies