- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1/3 c. cider vinegar
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tomato paste (typo here--not sure if it's cup or can; probably cup)
- 2 T. sweet paprika
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T. yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (blade roast/fresh pork butt), cut into 4 pieces
- 12 soft sandwich buns or ciabatta rolls warmed when meat is ready (16 small hamburger buns)
1. In a 4 and ½ to 6-quart slow cooker pot stir onion, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, Paprika, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper until combined. Add pork to sauce mixture and turn to coat well with sauce.
2. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook pork mixture on low setting as manufacturer directs – 8-10 hours or until pork is very tender.
3. With tongs, transfer pork to large bowl. Turn setting on slow cooker to high; cover and heat sauce to soiling to thicken and reduce slightly.
4. While sauce boils, with 2 forks pull pork into shreds. Return shredded pork to sauce to combine. Cover slow cooker and heat through on high setting if necessary.
5. Spoon pork mixture onto bottom of sandwich buns. Replace tops of buns.
Makes 12-16 sandwiches, depending size of bun