What? A cold salad in the winter! It's been well below freezing around here for a week and is bitter outside. However, these kinds of recipes are always a hit at pot lucks and travel well. When warmer weather rolls around, consider adding this to a BBQ buffet if you're hosting a party. It makes a lot and you can make it ahead of time.
~Recipe from Heart and Soul (a Memphis Junior League cookbook)
- 4 c. cut fresh corn or 2 (10-oz.) bags frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cucumber, peeled* and chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped*
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped green pepper*
- 1/2 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 T. mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. dry mustard
- 1/2 t. celery seed, optional
- 1/2 t. pepper
- assorted fresh mixed greens, optional
- sweet red pepper heart, optional*
- In a 2-quart saucepan, cook corn in a small amount of boiling water, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender (frozen corn will take 3-5 minutes). Drain and cool. In a large bowl, stir together cucumber, tomato, onion, green pepper, and corn.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, dry mustard, celery seed, and pepper. Spread over top of corn mixture. Cover and chill overnight. Before serving, toss lightly to coat vegetables. Garnish each serving with assorted mixed greens and sweet red pepper hearts, if desired.