This is a simple, rich buttercream frosting with peppermint extract added. I've noticed that peppermint extract loses some of its potency after a day, so make this the day you plan to eat it. It makes terrific frosting for Chocolate Cupcakes.
~Recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Favorites Cookbook
- 2 T. whole milk (or heavy cream)
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/2 t. peppermint extract
- pinch salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 2 1/2 cups butter (salted or unsalted), softened/at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- food coloring, if desired
- Combine milk and extracts; stir in salt to dissolve, if using.
- Beat butter on medium speed until light and fluffy (30-60 seconds).
- Beat in powdered sugar on medium-low speed until smooth and fluffy (2-4 minutes).
- Beat in liquids until completely mixed.
- Add food coloring, if desired. The frosting in the picture was tinted with about 4 drops red food coloring.