Salted Nut Bars
~from the Betty Crocker Cookbook (2006)
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 2 c. salted, mixed nuts or peanuts
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1/2 c. light corn syrup
- 2 T. butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until it looks evenly mixed and crumbly. Pat into a 13x9-inch pan (no need to grease the pan!). Bake 15 minutes; cool slightly.
- While shortbread is baking, cut up any large nuts and set nuts aside. Heat remaining ingredients together in a 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until chips melt.
- When shortbread is done, pull out of oven. Sprinkle nuts evenly over the top. Pour melted butterscotch mixture evenly over top and bake for 5 more minutes.
- For bars, cut into desired pieces while cookies are still warm (but not hot).