Monday, September 24, 2012

PB&J: It's What's For Lunch... (part 1)


photo from slashfood




I don't know about you, but I HATE packing school lunches--especially ones a 5-year-old can consume away from home. Without a microwave. In 15 minutes. Preferably utensil free. And healthy. And affordable. And easy-to-make-the-night-before. It just gets old.

This year, all three of my kids are in school. Because they're in a university model school, they only go to school three (full) mornings a week. They eat their school "meal" at around 10 or 10:30, I pick them up around 12:30, and we're home by 1:00. What's worked for us is for me to pack them a heavy snack/light lunch type of meal for school and plan for us to eat a second light lunch/heavy snack when we get home. They just don't have time to eat a big meal at school, nor are they truly hungry enough by 10:30 in the morning.

But I still have to pack something, and I also like to have an idea of what our home snack/lunch will be so that it's ready to go or nearly so by the time I walk in the door with three hungry kids at 1:00 or shortly thereafter. (And Mommy's hungry then, too ☺).

Stay tuned this week for some explorations in lunch menus...

No comments: