Tuesday, April 30, 2013

full tummies is back!

My "couple of weeks of spring break" turned into almost two months! Thanks to my faithful readers for being patient with me. Before I officially gear up with recipes and tips, I'll take this opportunity to thank our sponsors...

ha ha ha. Just kidding.

CSA season is *just* around the corner!! As I've mentioned before, I'm going to be a virtual farmhand for the Colvins this year and continue blogging about my experience with their produce/farm (I've kept a record for a couple of years now!). This year, I'm in a more official role; we get a free share in return for blogging about their produce and what we cook with it--win win for both of us! (Don't you wish we were still a bartering economy like this? Sometimes I really do.) We're in the midst of a move (local, but still an ordeal), so this will be a true adventure this summer. And, since our house is about to be officially on the market, I'm trying NOT to cook much so I don't muss the unbelievably-clean-and-tidy kitchen. Good thing it's grillin' season!

If you're a gardener or a CSA-shareholder, now is the time to eat up what's left in your freezer and in those lovingly canned Mason jars of food. The season of abundance is just around the corner. With that mind, I'll be posting a recipe shortly that's been requested by my sister-in-law. We'll be eating it later this week and using up some of the last of the frozen pesto ice cubes!

Also, it's time to get your ducks in a row cookbook/recipe-wise. You don't have to know all the recipes you're going to make, but it's not a bad idea to know where to look for recipes. When the CSA or garden gives you a bumper crop of cabbage or just a few odds and ends that don't seemingly go together, you may need some inspiration. Turn here to full tummies! You can also visit my fellow virtual farmhands: Lia of ThinkLia and Kristina of Mouth from the South. I've been tweeting about my book blog for some time, but I'm adding in full tummies now, too--so if you're willing to wade through book-links as well, you can follow me on Twitter.

In addition, there are some great other websites that are veggie-heavy:

And, some personal favorite cookbooks that feature LOTS of recipes and/or tips and tricks for using up produce:
  • Cook's Illustrated Cookbook (and other America's Test Kitchen cookbooks)
  • Simply in Season
  • How to Cook Everything, 10th ann edition
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • 1000 Indian Recipes

No comments: