Thursday, May 23, 2013

Spiced Crunchy (Low-Fat) Granola

I confess: I'm a granola snob. After all, until now, I've firmly believed that "my" granola recipe is, hands down, the best. Hence the reason it's taken me so long to try the Bittman version. But I finally did, and it's a winner!! Not only is it free of any added oils, but it's also super easy. [I might even like it better, but don't tell that other recipe I said so.]

Spiced Crunchy (Low-Fat) Granola
~How to Cook Everything, 10th ann. edition

  • 6 c. oats or other rolled, flaked grain (I used about 1 1/2 cups of a muesli mix I had as part of this)
  • 2 c. chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, sesame seeds, .... I used 1/2 almonds and 1/2 walnuts)
  • 1/2-1 c. honey (I used 3/4 c.)
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. ground ginger
  • 1/2 t. ground cardamom
  • 1/4 t. ground cloves
  • 1/4 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 c. raisins or Craisins
  1. Mix all together except the dried fruit.
  2. Spread in a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (every 5-7 minutes or so).
  4. When browned, remove and let cool to room temperature. Add raisins or Craisins and transfer to a room temperature container.
~Makes 8-9 cups or so

No comments: