~Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. water
- 6 c. cubed watermelon (deseeded, if necessary)
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- Bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer until mixture is clear. Chill.
- When sugar syrup is cool, puree watermelon, lemon juice, and sugar syrup in a blender. Pour into a wide, shallow (freezer-safe) pan: deep dish pie plate, 13x9-inch or 8x8-inch, or similar. The shallower, the faster it will freeze.
- Place in freezer. After about an hour, scrape mixture thoroughly with a fork--stir it well. Put back in freezer.
- After another hour, scrape again, and refreeze for one more hour.
- After the third hour, scrape thoroughly, and serve! Garnish with mint sprigs.