Thursday, September 26, 2013

CSA Week 16 (9/26/13)

Wow. Can you believe the next time I pick up veggies from the Colvins, it will be OCTOBER??? Crazy. Here's what I'm wondering today: Krispy Kreme gives out a free donut for every "A" on a report card. We took home a pile o' donuts today for the three kids' report cards (yea for a fun reward for their hard work!). Should I have picked up extra veggies this afternoon to counteract the donuts? :-)

Here's what we brought home:
  • Swiss chard (it's SO pretty)
  • big bag of green beans
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 3 big sweet red peppers
  • 1 purple bell pepper
  • several small hot peppers
  • summer squash: 1 yellow, 1 one-ball, and 1 pattypan
  • 1 bunch cilantro
I still have one small butternut squash leftover from last week, and I've got a hankerin' for this chicken vegetable soup my roommate and I used to make years ago that had butternut squash, red bell peppers, and green beans in it. Sounds like a perfect recipe for what we have to work with! I'll have to see if I can track that recipe down. (Maybe it will be ALL we eat after those donuts....)

1 comment:

The Sugared and Spiced Kitchen said...

Swiss chard really is one of the most fascinating and beautiful vegetables! I wish I liked to eat it but will instead have to just admire the way it looks :)