Sausage Tortellini Soup
~my friend Betsy K.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3 (14.5-oz) cans beef broth
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 t. Italian seasoning
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 (9-oz.) package refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Discard sausage casings.
- Brown sausage over medium high heat along with onion and garlic. Drain and return to pot.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, carrots, sugar, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off fat if desired.
- Stir in zucchini and tortellini; simmer 10 minutes.
- Top each serving with cheese.
Makes 10 cups (~6 servings)