This has become my go to recipe for oatmeal. Mmmm.... The best of both steel cut oats and regular old-fashioned oats. It's a bit more work, but not much.
Soaked Oat Porridge
~Bowl + Spoon
- 1 c. steel-cut oats
- 2 c. milk (nondairy is fine)
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. rolled grain flakes*
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- maple syrup or honey, for serving
- milk or cream or creme fraiche, for serving
- 2 c. sliced fresh fruit or berries (or some raisins/Craisins)
*I use a mix of several rolled grains or just straight up oats; official recipe calls for wheat or rye or a combination
- The night before: combine steel-cut oats with water to cover by 2 inches. Cover. You can do this in the same pot you plan to cook in, but it will take some strategy in the morning. I use a separate bowl.
- In the morning: drain oats. Warm milk and 2 c. water in medium pot until little bubbles appear on the sides. Add oats, rolled grains, salt, and vanilla. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Serve with above mentioned toppings or others of your choice.