Recipe from Meals for a Month
- 4 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 T. finely minced rosemary leaves
- 2 T. finely minced marjoram leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or crushed)
- 2 t. salt
- 1/8 t. pepper
- 3 T. mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 2 T. olive oil
- Gently loosen the skin from the flesh of the chicken. In small bowl, combine herbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise, and rub this mixture between the skin and flesh of the chicken. Smooth skin back over chicken pieces.
- Flash freeze chicken in single layer on baking sheet. When frozen solid, pack in zipper lock bags; attach small bag with chicken broth. Label chicken and freeze. Reserve olive oil in pantry.
- To thaw and cook: Thaw chicken overnight in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Place chicken, skin-side down, in pan and brown for 4-5 minutes. Turn chicken over and pour chicken broth in skillet. Place skillet in preheated oven, and roast for 30-40 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender, basting occasionally with pan juices.
- To cook without freezing: Refrigerate chicken for 3-4 hours (after putting herb mixture on it). Then, proceed with browning....
To make with a whole chicken for the crock pot:
Follow process for making herb-mayonnaise mixture and rub under skin of whole chicken (make sure you've taken the giblets out). Place whole chicken in gallon size ziploc bag, squeeze air out, and seal. Place inside another bag for added protection.
Thaw chicken overnight (or longer--depends on your fridge!) in the refrigerator. Place several foil balls in bottom of crock pot. Place chicken breast-side down on foil. Cook on high for 4-6 hours.