Monday, December 1, 2008

Chinese Cucumber Salad (Huang Gua Sela)

This is one of my all-time favorite cucumber salads. My friend Katie, who used to be a missionary in China, gave me the recipe. Even my 1-year-old twins like it! It needs to chill, so make it ahead; be warned, however, that if you go heavy on the garlic, it will just get stronger the longer it sits. A couple of hours of chilling is ideal. I usually leave out the red pepper spice. This makes a fair amount; you can estimate the amount for one cucumber if you need servings for 3-4.

3-4 cucumbers, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. salt
1/2 t. sugar
1 T. white vinegar
1/2 t. red pepper spice
1-2 t. soy sauce

Combine all ingredients and chill! (There won't be much liquid at first; the cucumbers will release some of their juices as they chill.)

No comments: