Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cookbook Review: 1001 Ways to Cook Southern


(a copy of my review on amazon; I was the first reviewer!)
This is a beautiful cookbook, no doubt. It's also a delight to thumb through for Southern feel-good vibes. I mean, who else but Southern Living could get away with 8 cornbread recipes, more than 8 pimiento cheese recipes, multiple fried catfish recipes, myriad grits recipes, and listing equipment requirements that include a Mason jar and cast iron skillet?!

My biggest complaint with this book is that so many of the baking recipes include mixes in their ingredient list. If I want a cookbook version of cinnamon streusel muffins, I don't want one of the three ingredients listed to be....cinnamon streusel muffin mix. I didn't see a single biscuit recipe that didn't use self-rising flour and most cornbread recipes use a cornmeal mix. My Ultimate Southern Living cookbook which I love has at least a baking powder biscuit recipe that is not dependent on self-rising flour.

That being said, there are hundreds of truly mouth-watering recipes in this book. I think it might depend on what your other cookbook options are as to whether this book is a "must have." Peruse it in a bookstore or check it out from a library; then buy it here because Amazon's price is the best!

No comments: