Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crock Pot Fajita Chicken

Here's an easy recipe to come home to at the end of a long day! Saute some onions and peppers to go with this yummy chicken if you want to. Serve with tortillas and usual fajita fixin's. This is from Jill Quillen, a friend of my friend Bridgette.


  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 package Fajita seasoning (found in Mexican aisle with taco "stuff")*
  • 4 cups chicken broth, approximately (enough to cover chicken in crock)
*You can also just add 2 tablespoons of an Adobo type seasoning plus some salt if your mix is salt-free
  1. Turn crock pot on high and add butter, seasoning mix, and 1 cup chicken broth. Once ingredients have melted, mix all ingredients together. Add chicken and add enough broth to almost cover. Cook at high for 5-6 hours until chicken shreds easily.
  2. After the time is up, open the lid and use a fork to stir the chicken. You will know they are "done" when they start to shred as you stir with the fork. Continue stirring until you have a crockpot full of fajita chicken!

You can also use Lemon Garlic seasoning; Lemon Garlic chicken works well with green beans and mashed potatoes.

Note: You can freeze the butter (unwrapped), the seasoning mix, and 1 cup of chicken broth in one bag and remaining broth and chicken pieces in another. Thaw overnight in the fridge and you'll be ready to go in the morning!

Serves 8; recipe can be halved for 4 servings

5 comments:

Bridgette said...

I am making this today and it only took me 2 cups of broth to cover the chicken. I also plan on using the leftovers for chicken enchiladas.!

MnM said...

I have a plastic container of fajita seasoning. Do you know an approximate measurement that equates to the package?

Thanks!

MnM said...

Can you tell me the measurement for the fajita seasoning? I have a large tub of seasoning instead of a packet.

Thanks!

Betsy said...

Good question! I don't know, but I bet someone on line has figured that out. You might do a search for homemade fajita seasoning and see what comes up. I'd bet it's a couple tablespoons or so.

Bridgette said...

I'm making this today and I wanted to let you know that one package is 16 tsp which is about 5 tablespoons I think.