Recipe from Southern Living, November 2005
Sweet Spice Blend (also good on glazed carrots and in rice)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons dried ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Sweet Spice Pecans
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Spice Blend
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound pecan halves*
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat egg white and 1 tablespoon water in a medium bowl using a handheld egg beater or a wire whisk until foamy. (No liquid should remain.) Add pecans, stirring until evenly coated.
- Add pecans to sugar mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Place pecans in a single layer on a buttered 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. (If using a stoneware sheet, you won't need to butter it.)
- Bake at 275° for 50 to 55 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread immediately in a single layer on wax paper; cool completely. Store in an airtight container.