Recipe from Dairy Hollow House Soup and Bread
- 1 c. stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2-4 T. sugar (I use 3)
- 1/4 c. mild oil (corn, canola, vegetable)
- 2-4 T. butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, and oil; then whisk the buttermilk into this mixture.
- Put an 8- to 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt the butter in it (you can also put the skillet into the oven while it's preheating--this will melt the butter and save you having to turn the burner on). Tilt the pan to coat the bottom and sides.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, quickly stir together just until evenly moistened, and pour/scrape the batter into the hot, buttered skillet. Immediately put the skillet into the oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.
This is best eaten promptly!