Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Homemade Microwave Popcorn

This is a terrific trick to know: if you like popcorn, enjoy being frugal/healthy/"green" all at the same time, AND have the EXACT same amount of time as you need to make a normal bag of microwave popcorn, then this recipe is for you.

Recipe from Alton Brown

  • 1/4 c. popcorn kernels
  • 2-3 t. oil (olive, canola, etc.; you can also use melted butter)
  • 1/4 t. salt (kosher or popcorn salt work best)*
*kosher and popcorn salt are finer and "stick" better; I just use regular 'cause that's what I have

Mix ingredients. Pour into a brown paper lunch bag and fold over 3 times (small folds--you'll need to leave enough room for the corn to pop). Place bag on its side on a plate in the microwave and pop for 2-3 minutes on high (until there are about 5 seconds between pops). This is about the same amount as is in a regular size bag of storebought microwave popcorn, so your microwave's "popcorn" setting will probably work.

I always sprinkle on extra salt at the end. Mmmm.... This makes enough for my kids to each have a good-sized (kid-sized) bowl and my husband and I each to have a moderate serving (if all the kernels pop). It's much, much cheaper than most of the other snacks they like, so I'm going to be dishing this up a good bit (it also has no hydrogenated oil or other weird ingredient....).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,

I was having a coffee this morning and stumbled on the article you wrote:
Homemade Microwave Popcorn

Great stuff! I really like how you went into depth about the instruction.

It's funny, I actually recently published a Step-By-Step guide about Popcorn Recipe that I think it might be a nice addition to your page:

https://veggiesecret.com/popcorn-recipes/

Love to know what you think :D

Cheers,

Laura.