Recipe based on outline in How to Cook Everything, 10th ann. edition
- 4 T. cold butter, plus more for the pan
- 2 c. all-purpose flour (or half whole wheat)
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 1 c. zucchini, grated and excess moisture squeezed out
- 1/2 c. raw sunflower seeds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with butter (I used an 8x4-inch pan; cookbook recommends a 9x5).
- Stir together dry ingredients. Cut butter into pieces and then cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter, 2 knives, or your fingers. Mixture should be crumbly.
- Beat together milk and egg. Pour into dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Fold in zucchini and seeds, then pour/spoon batter into pan. Bake for about an hour, until bread is golden brown and toothpick comes clean from the center. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
Makes 1 loaf