Monday, August 31, 2009

Green Tomato Relish


I'm still at it: working with my 10+ pounds of green tomatoes. This recipe is a real winner; it's technically a "relish" but tastes much more like a "salsa" (what's the difference, anyway?). If you don't have any green tomatoes, then you're out of luck. I'm going to have to make another batch following the recipe as originally written (my notes are below); I think I'll like it even better than my accidental changes.

Green Tomato Relish
Recipe from Farmgirl Fare.

  • 2 pounds green tomatoes, cored and chopped (I use a combo of Romas and Mr. Stripeys)
  • 1 pound white or yellow onions (I left out--oops...it would be even better!)
  • 3/4 pound sweet peppers (I used yellow)
  • 1/2 pound tart cooking apples, cored and chopped (I used a pound)
  • 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 T. kosher or sea salt
  • 4 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded if desired, and finaly chopped
  • 2 T. chopped cilantro
  • 1 t. ground cumin
  1. Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, apples, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a large, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about an hour.
  2. Stir in the jalapenos, cilantro, and cumin and simmer for 5 more minutes.
  3. Carefully puree the mixture using an immersion blender (ideal) or in batches in a traditional blender until still somewhat chunky.
  4. In canning, return the pureed relish to a boil, then ladle the hot mixture into hot, sterilized jar, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Store in a cool, dark place. You can also freeze this mixture.
Makes 3 pints

No comments: