From Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 11th edition
- 1 pound dry navy beans (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans beef broth (or 4 cups homemade; can also use half chicken stock)
- 3/4 c. water
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (can also use bulk Italian sausage; brown it first so it will be in small pieces)
- 3 c. chopped cabbage
- 1 c. chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can tomatoes (14.5-oz.)
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse beans. Combine beans and 6 cups water in large stockpot. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes; removed from heat and leave, covered, for 1 hour. (Can also just soak overnight) Rinse and drain beans.
- Add remaining ingredients to beans in the same stockpot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally and check to make sure beans are tender. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- If you are concerned about fat, let the soup sit/chill it and skim off fat. Reheat to serve.
Makes 11 cups (8 servings)
Soak beans (quick soak or overnight). Place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on high for 6 to 8 hours.