Here's my question:
What is on your kitchen counter? What are your must-haves for kitchen counter top appliances?
I'm about to plunk down some serious change on a heavy-duty food processor, but only after I've evaluated my "needs" for a heavy-duty kitchen appliance. Currently, I don't own a mixer, but I'm leaning now towards a hand mixer (heavy duty one). My new food processor will probably let me give up my stand blender and just keep my immersion blender for small tasks. It should also allow me to get rid of my mini-food processor (the new one comes with 3 sizes of bowls), my regular cheap food processor, and avoid purchasing a heavy-duty mixer. I don't have many appliances on my counter right now, but there is plenty of other "stuff". Here's my list (I have an indecent amount of counter space, but half of it is sort of removed from the main prep areas; the items on the non-prep surfaces are asterisked):
coffee maker (grinder included in the maker)
bowl for breads/muffins
radio (bigger than I'd prefer)*
Crazy, isn't it? And yet, believe it or not, my counters have plenty of empty space if I can keep the kids' artwork, hubby's work-related clutter, mail, etc. off of them. What is it about an empty space that beckons people to dump "stuff" on it?
Here's my must-have kitchen appliance list (doesn't include non-electric stuff):
- blender of some sort
- food chopper/processor of some sort (I've used my mini one faithfully for years)
- toaster or toaster oven
- coffee maker (hubby's "must-have")
- microwave (ours is built in)
- crock pot (I go in spurts with this, but I think I still really want it)
- mixer of some sort
Here's what I'm phasing out/what will get cut if I ever downsize the cabinet space I'm currently used to:
- electric skillet
- multiple blenders/food processor types--trying to condense
- electric steamer (don't tell my hubby--it's his and I NEVER use it because I have a steamer insert that goes in my pots on the stove)
- rice cooker (again, I never use this, but my hubby used to before we got married and so it's still in a cabinet)
So, what's on your counter? What is a "must" as far as electric appliances go? Bread machine? Rice Cooker? Toaster?