From Muffins from A to Z
- 1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c. chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 c. flour (I use half white whole wheat)
- 1/3 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. mashed, cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 1/3 c. buttermilk (can substitute plain yogurt)
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter 12 muffin cups or coat with nonstick spray.
- To make topping: stir the 1/4 c. brown sugar and pecans together in a small bowl until blended.
- To make the batter: in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/3 c. brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir until well blended. In a small bowl, shisk together the sweet potatoes, buttermilk, melted butter and eggs. Add to the dry ingredients all at once and fold just until evenly moistened. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 heaping teaspoon of the topping. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
Makes 12 muffins (these do not freeze as well as others because of the topping--it tends to fall off)