Recipe based on one in America's Test Kitchen Family Favorites Cookbook
- 3 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 10 sliced firm white bread*
- 12-oz. shredded Cheddar cheese (can mix in others if needed/desired)
- 8-11 eggs*
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1/2 t. onion powder
- 1/2 t. tabasco, optional
*depending on the size of your bread slices, you may need the larger amount of eggs. Start with the smaller amount and add extra if necessary at the end.
- Butter a 9x13-inch casserole thoroughly. Use the remaining butter to butter one side of each slice of bread. Cut each slice into 1-inch pieces and scatter half evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over the bread in the pan. Repeat with remaining bread and cheese.
- Whisk 8 eggs together with the seasonings (I think the seasonings would be a little too much if you use only the 8 eggs--use your best judgment). Pour over the bread/cheese mixture and press bread down lightly until submerged. If your bread slices were large and/or thick, you may need the extra eggs: just whisk the extras together and pour over the areas that look a little dry.
- Cover pan tightly with Saran wrap and refrigerate for 8-36 hours! (I've only tried overnight, but the Test Kitchen folks claim that you can hold it up to 36 hours.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, until puffy and slightly browned (remove the plastic wrap first!).