Recipe from Recipe Goldmine
- 1/2 c. butter (or shortening)
- 1 c. granulated sugar (can use some brown if you're low on white sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. mashed banana
- 1 c. active sourdough starter*
- 1 t. vanilla or 1 t. orange zest
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 3/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
*"active" usually means you fed the starter the night before--or a few hours earlier--and it's room temperature and bubbly. I've fed starter the day before, refrigerated it overnight, and still used it the next morning, but you'll get the best results using freshly fed starter.
- Cream together the butter and sugar; add egg and mix until blended. Stir in bananas and sourdough starter. Add orange peel or vanilla. Stir flour, salt, baking powder, and soda together; add to creamed mixture, stirring just until blended. Stir in walnuts, if using.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool to cold before cutting for best results.
Makes 1 loaf.