Simple Summer Stew with Herb Butter
~Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
- 1 1/2 T. each chopped fresh basil, marjoram, and parsley
- 1/2 t. lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- 4 T. butter, softened
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. green beans (frozen are fine)
- 8 oz. small summer squash, diced or sliced into rounds
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into squares
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 c. corn kernels
- Combine herbs, lemon zest, pinch of salt, and the butter. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in the oil over high heat for 1 minute; add 1/2 cup water, cover, and reduce heat--simmer for 5 minutes. Add vegetables. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover, and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in herb butter, taste for salt, and season with pepper.