- 2-3 apples, chopped (and cored)
- 1 can pear halves or slices in light syrup, drained and chopped
- 1/2-1 cup frozen berries, any combo*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 t. cinnamon**
- generous pinch ground cloves**
- generous pinch ground nutmeg**
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2-3 T. vanilla*
*depending on tartness of berries (and we think cranberries would also be good), you may want to use less lemon juice or omit altogether
**this makes a fairly spicy mix; if you have sensitive palates in the house, you may want to use less
- Stir together all ingredients except pears and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for a few minutes (3-4). Add pears and continue to simmer until desired tenderness. Berries will nearly disintegrate and turn the sauce purple!
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. May be served hot or cold. Excellent warm over waffles!
~Makes enough for 6 servings of waffles ☺.