Braised Chard with Olive Oil and Rice
~adapted from How to Cook Everything, 10th ann. edition
- 1/2 pound chard, washed and trimmed*
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 2 small carrots, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 c. white rice
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Wash chard again (one washing isn't usually sufficient for leafy greens!). Slice ends off stem--any frayed or "old" looking ends. Separate leaves from stems. Slice stems (like you would celery) and cut leaves into wide ribbons. Keep separate.
- Put all but a tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add chard stems and carrots, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When chard is tender, add chard leaves, more salt and pepper, the rice, and 1 3/4 cups water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until water is absorbed (you may have to lower the heat). You're looking for a moist mixture, not a soupy one.
- Can be served hot or at room temperature. Before serving drizzle with remaining olive oil and lemon juice.