Monday, July 7, 2008

Oatmeal Muffins

I've finally found a substitute for cereal bars, in function if not in form!* These are much less sugar-y, and my kids love them. They're actually quite plain, but that seems to work for young children. These little muffins would be good with a bit of jam on them, but my children don't know that yet. I think you could also add blueberries, raisins, craisins, chopped apples, etc.--maybe 1/2 cup. We eat these muffins for lunch one day and breakfast the next. (My toddler loves to "help" me make them.) Try them!

*I discovered another recipe that looks more similar to a Nutrigrain bar in appearance that I'm going to have to try as well. It's Apple-Oatmeal Bars.

Recipe compiled from various sources, among them More With Less and Allrecipes.com

1 c. oats (I use old-fashioned, but quick would also work)
1 c. flour (I use white whole wheat)
1 c. milk
2-3 t. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar (could substitute honey I think)
1/2 t. salt
3 T. oil
1 egg, beaten

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare muffin tin (paper liners or greased).
2. Soak oats in milk for 15 minutes.
3. Stir together remaining dry ingredients. Add fruit or nuts here if using.
4. Add egg and oil to oat/milk mixture. Fold into dry ingredients.
5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full (these will be smallish muffins). Top with optional topping (below). Bake 15 minutes.

Serves 10-12

Optional Topping (I've not made this part yet, but it looks yummy!)
2 T. sugar
2 t. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. melted butter

Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on muffins before baking.

No comments: